Susan Whitall The Detroit News Published 6:49 PM EDT Sep 20, 2019 Would the Supremes be less supreme without that image of three glamorous young women in long glittery gowns, swaying gracefully as they sang? Some Supremes fans can describe each outfit the trio wore on “The Ed Sullivan Show” down to the last eyelash and dyed peau-de-soie kitten heel. It wouldn’t quite be the same, perhaps, without those Michael Travis and Bob Mackie-designed confections — shimmering satin and silk gowns, heavy armor of spangles and beads. But while many like to contrast those glamour years with the Supremes’ upbringing in the Brewster Projects, according to Mary Wilson, they didn’t have to leave town to learn about glamour and fashion: They grew up surrounded by stylish Detroit women. Wilson describes the allure of the Supremes’ style in a large, beautifully-illustrated new book, “Supreme Glamour” (Thames & Hudson), written with Mark Bego. The photos of their sumptuous gowns, with names like “Turquoise Freeze,” “Green Swirls,” “White de Mink” and “Purple Fantasy” are a window into a unique time, when the most glamorous creatures in pop were three young women from Detroit. “We grew up around glamorous people,” Wilson said. “All the… Read full this story
- Supremes Mary Wilson visits Museum of Contemporary Art to discuss Motown, Cleveland and creating an identity
- Money not yet talking in Supreme Court race
- Student advocate Mary Beth Tinker discusses Supreme Court case, free speech
- Kaylie Marie Wilson
- Electrician killed after falling from TSU's Mary Wilson Hall
- Long Hair Does Care: Talking Fashion and Family with Watsky
- Christian Sagers: With talk of Supreme Court term limits, why does changing the Constitution feel so ... weird?
- Supreme Court sympathetic to Pa. woman in cemetery caseYou may also be interested in...
- 8 candidates for state Supreme Court ask for your vote
- Actor Scott Wilson, best known as Hershel on ‘The Walking Dead,’ dies at 76
Mary Wilson talks fashion in ‘Supreme Glamour’ have 317 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at September 20, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.