Updated 12:10 am CDT, Sunday, September 15, 2019 HONG KONG (AP) — Hundreds of demonstrators are rallying outside the British Consulate in Hong Kong, as they seek international support in their months-long campaign for democratic reforms in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory. Those gathered Sunday waved British flags, sang “God save the Queen” and chanted “U.K. save Hong Kong.” They urged Hong Kong’s former colonial ruler to ensure the city’s autonomy is upheld under agreements made when it ceded power to China in 1997. They held similar rallies earlier this month at the British facility and last weekend at the U.S. Consulate. The protests were triggered in June by an extradition bill that many saw as an example of China’s increasing intrusion and a chipping away at Hong Kong’s freedoms. Protesters have not yielded despite the government’s promise to axe the bill.
- Hong Kong protesters call on Donald Trump to 'liberate' the city as thousands of marchers carrying American flags march on US consulate
- Thousands of Hong Kong students form human chains across the city in fresh protests after activists marched on US consulate and called on Trump to intervene
- Hong Kong government warns US 'not to interfere in any form' in its internal affairs as protesters march on American consulate singing the Star Spangled Banner and calling on Trump to intervene
- Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam tries to buy off anti-government demonstrators with promises of cheaper housing and more jobs - as major tennis tournament and musical Matilda are cancelled due to protests
- Hong Kong's extradition law changes spark mass protests over fears about Beijing's reach
- UPDATE 1-Hong Kong braces for busy protest timetable ahead of China National Day
- Chinese Communist Party Denies It Is Infiltrating UK Universities, Imposing Censorship
Hong Kong protesters rally for support at British Consulate have 298 words, post on www.chron.com at September 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.