Farmers to get 2 million bags of palay seedsTHE Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) is set to distribute to farmers before yearend 2 million bags of certified palay (unmilled rice) seeds weighing 20 kilograms each. The planned move is part of the agency’s tasks in connection with the implementation of the Rice Tariffication Law. To be distributed are high-quality inbred palay seeds including Rc 216, Rc 160 NSIC Rc 222 or Umani, and two location-specific inbred varieties, which have good market prices for their taste, Agriculture Secretary William Dar said.He said PhilRice would focus on provinces with high potential for competitiveness. “So far, we have identified 57 provinces based on the size of area harvested, yield level, cost of production, and share of irrigated area. These municipalities and cities must also have an annual area planted of more than 500-ha (hectare) for dry season 2019-2020,” Dar was quoted as saying.The bags of seeds, he said, were meant for planting around one million hectares of rice land which can contribute in increasing the yield up to six tons per hectare in high-producing provinces by 2024. Currently, the country’s national average yield for rice is at 4 metric tons per hectare, significantly… Read full this story
- Millers, middlemen cash in on cereal farmers desperation to sell produce
- Patents on plants: Is the sellout of genes a threat to farmers and global food security?
- State-wise information on every land holding: Govt plans database with Aadhaar seeding to double farmer income
- Can farmers sow their way out of climate change?
- Tra Vinh focuses on developing quality seeds, seedlings
- Nigeria’s Seed Council controls 70% of W/Africa seed industry
- Government extends Aadhaar seeding date for PM-Kisan plan to November 30
- It’s a fact. We don’t want farmers to get rich | Opinion
- Ravensthorpe farmer loses hand in machinery accident, then drives himself to WA hospital
- Wonder plant saves farmer fertiliser cash
Farmers to get 2 million bags of palay seeds have 317 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.