CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Friday’s LGBTQ Presidential Forum had the feeling of a home game for Pete Buttigieg, who was introduced as “a member of our community” to a rousing standing ovation. But that enthusiasm for Buttigieg has not guaranteed him a lock on this voting bloc in Iowa. Buttigieg covered topics including learning “the hard way” about “discrimination” when he came out — like the first time he saw his mayoral office’s annual blood drive on his schedule, Buttigieg said, and soon realized, “I can’t be part of it.”Story Continued Below Yet some activists in Iowa said that Buttigieg had not focused enough attention in his campaign on the unique challenges faced by LGBTQ people. Even amid obvious enthusiasm for the South Bend, Ind., mayor, who faced a crowd waving rainbow “BOOT-EDGE-EDGE” signs and featuring “Pete” stickers on dozens of T-shirts, the pressure for Buttigieg to represent the broader LGBTQ community through his 2020 campaign has come with complications. “LGBTQ Iowans are not a monolith and everyone has different priorities. There aren’t many who are ready to fully commit yet. That’s something he needs to be very aware of when he speaks to this community,” said Erica Barz, the… Read full this story
- Texas AG Continues Fight Against Mail-In Voting
- Iowa rebuilds PPE stockpile after deals with unusual sources
- In-person voting rises in Wisconsin’s 2nd pandemic election
- Here's how Biden can win over the minority vote and the Rust Belt
- Should Straight People Attend LGBTQ Pride?
- Democrats 'Becoming The Whole Foods Party,' Says Iowa Candidate Who Lost to Republican Steve King
- High Pride: Pot Industry Embraces LGBTQ Culture, Everyone Wins
- RNC Launches ‘Protect the Vote’ to Fight Left’s Vote-by-Mail Scheme
- Iowa reports virus at Woodward home, among 9 DHS workers
- Klobuchar: ‘It’s Going to Be Wrath on My Republican Colleagues’ if No Funding in Next Coronavirus Bill for Vote-by-Mail
Buttigieg fights to lock down Iowa LGBTQ vote have 320 words, post on www.politico.com at September 21, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.