By Kerry Crowley | [email protected] | Bay Area News GroupPUBLISHED: August 6, 2019 at 1:03 pm | UPDATED: August 6, 2019 at 1:28 pm SAN FRANCISCO — Joe Panik made an All-Star team, earned a Gold Glove and won the 2014 World Series during a six-year tenure with the San Francisco Giants. After a significant decline at the plate, Panik lost his starting job at second base last week. On Tuesday, he lost his roster spot. The Giants announced they have designated Panik for assignment, effectively cutting ties with a former first round draft pick and homegrown talent who was a significant part of the team’s core. Panik, 28, was hitting a career-low .235 with a .627 OPS in 103 games when the Giants elected to remove him from the roster in favor of rookie starter Conner Menez, who will face the Nationals on Tuesday. The Giants also announced that left-hander Williams Jerez has been recalled from Triple-A Sacramento and reliever Sam Selman has been optioned to Triple-A. Panik will be placed on waivers and can be picked up by an organization that places a claim on the left-handed hitting second baseman. The New York Mets, who recently lost second… Read full this story
- Mountain lion seen roaming San Francisco killed on Highway 1
- How San Francisco Artist Gilbert Baker Made The Rainbow Flag An Enduring Symbol Of LGTBQ Pride
- San Francisco Community Group Gives Support To Seniors Isolated By COVID-19
- George Floyd protest briefly shuts down Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
- Where is San Francisco's actual steepest street? This guy found out the hard way.
- San Francisco First Responders Rescue Swimmer In Distress At China Beach
- San Francisco Health Department Warns Of Spike In COVID-19 Hospitalization Rate
- Wayward Mountain Lion Captured In San Francisco, Later Released, Killed Along Highway 1 In Pacifica
- Demonstrators assaulted officers in San Francisco, police say
- 2-Alarm Fire Burns In San Francisco Mission District
San Francisco Giants cut struggling second baseman Joe Panik have 313 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at August 6, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.