Wednesday August 14, 2019 01:34 PM Puerto Rico’s new governor appears to be finally overcoming challenges to her authority following weeks of political turmoil on the U.S. territory, with key members of her New Progressive Party expressing support Written by The Associated Press SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Puerto Rico’s new governor appears to be finally overcoming some of the challenges to her authority following weeks of political turmoil on the U.S. territory, with key members of her New Progressive Party expressing support. The Senate president seen as her chief challenger issued a statement Wednesday backing her. Thomas Rivera Schatz said on Facebook that he’d only been looking for a replacement because he thought Wanda Vázquez didn’t want the governor’s job. He earlier suggested the post go to the island’s congressional representative, Jenniffer González. But González too issued a statement of support for Vázquez on Tuesday. The governorship fell to Justice Secretary Vázquez on Aug. 7 because Gov. Ricardo Rosselló resigned after intensive public protests. The territory’s Supreme Court then knocked down Rosselló’s attempt to name a successor. Share this article
- Hundreds of thousands take to the streets in San Juan, including Ricky Martin, to demand Puerto Rico's governor resign in offensive chat message scandal - as Trump weighs in and calls island's leadership 'grossly incompetent'
- Puerto Rico braces for huge protests as more than a MILLION people are expected to take to the streets today calling for governor Ricardo Rossello to resign over vile messages
- Carmelo Anthony Begs Donald Trump To Pay Attention To The Disaster In Puerto Rico
- Donald Trump says 'will it never end' as a hurricane bears down on Puerto Rico then repeats discredited claim it got $92 billion from Congress in wake of Hurricane Maria
- Wanda Vázquez, the Woman Set to Become Puerto Rico's Governor, Has a Complicated Track Record With Feminists
- AP-NORC Poll: Low marks for Trump’s Puerto Rico response
- Puerto Rico gets near-failing grade on infrastructure report card
- Puerto Rico Enters a New Age of Austerity
- Puerto Rico’s Power Struggle
- Puerto Rico Approves $260Mln in Emergency Funds to Ready For Hurricane Dorian - Statement
New Puerto Rico governor finally overcoming challenges have 367 words, post on www.readingeagle.com at August 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.