ERIE, Pa. (AP) — Rob Wilson virtually grew up on Lake Erie. He was born in Erie and comes from a family of anglers dating to 1908. He learned to fish and boat at an early age before pursuing a religious career and becoming pastor for Zion United Methodist Church in Sarver, southeast of Butler. Wilson, 49, combined his nautical passion and his drive to help others to create At The Lake Ministries, which offers boating and fishing excursions out of Erie for people with special needs and disabilities. “We want these individuals to know that they’re welcomed, they’re loved and they’re valued and accepted here,” said Wilson, who travels from to Erie to put on the trips. “It’s been truly a humbling experience to be able to do this.” The ministry offers day trips for groups with similar disabilities, including Down syndrome, autism, physical and developmental needs and emotional disabilities. Wilson and his father, Dan Wilson, began the trips in late 2018. “The trip always looks different. We may have a group of autistic individuals and maybe that day they just like the boat ride better and aren’t that into fishing,” Rob Wilson said. “Or, for example, we may… Read full this story
- Tips for flying with special needs
- Charity and local business give adaptive bikes to children with special needs
- When is the Still Open All Hours Christmas Special on BBC One, who’s in the cast with Sir David Jason and what’s it about?
- Lake St. Clair has worse E. coli pollution than Lake Erie, study finds
- Robot offers a deeper dive into Lake Erie research
- Ohio predicts excellent fishing this year on Lake Erie
- Artist with special needs brightens up Berkley with chalk drawings
- Special Needs Travel: 5 Great Ideas for a Memorable Family Vacation
- Deadline to register for special needs fishing event is Sunday
- Disneyland wagon ban triggers protests by families with kids with special needs and medical issues
Ministry opens Lake Erie to passengers with special needs have 329 words, post on apnews.com at August 17, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.