SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning decades. Domingo has been general director of the LA Opera since 2003 and previously served as the company’s artistic director, jobs that gave him the power to cast roles and — his accusers say — make, or break, careers. Some of the women told the AP that Domingo used his power at the LA company and elsewhere to try to pressure them into sexual relationships, with several saying that he dangled jobs and then sometimes punished them professionally if they refused his advances. On Tuesday, the Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star, regarded as one of the greatest opera singers of all time. New York’s Metropolitan Opera said it would await the results of LA Opera’s investigation “before making any final decisions about Mr. Domingo’s future at the Met,” where he is scheduled to appear next month. The 78-year-old Domingo is one of the industry’s… Read full this story
- LA Opera in Your Living Room!
- Singer Andrea Bocelli: ‘Absurd’ to shun opera legend Domingo
- Conductor Riccardo Chailly to celebrate 40 years at La Scala
- Long-neglected ‘Chernier’ makes heroic return to La Scala
- For opera’s Netrebko and Eyvazov, the on-stage kiss is real
- At the drive-in: ENO to stage opera at a safe physical distance
- Zoom Pregnancy Is Real, and Matthew McConaughey’s OB/GYN Has to Investigate
- 16 La Gracia residents booked for attending society buffet on Mar 22
- Beijing says the WHO has found no evidence coronavirus was man-made as it fends off accusations it was created in a Chinese lab
- Blac Chyna steps out of her $160K Bentley SUV to pick up packages in LA... after getting slammed for charging $950 for a video chat and $250 for an Instagram follow-back
LA Opera to investigate Placido Domingo over accusations have 341 words, post on www.seattletimes.com at August 13, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.