Tom Davies Associated Press Published 1:52 PM EDT Aug 25, 2019 Joe Walsh, a former Illinois congressman and tea party favorite turned radio talk show host, announced a challenge Sunday to President Donald Trump for the Republican nomination in 2020, saying the incumbent is unfit for office and must be denied a second term. “He’s nuts. He’s erratic. He’s cruel. He stokes bigotry. He’s incompetent. He doesn’t know what he’s doing,” Walsh told ABC’s “This Week.” The longshot portrayed himself as a legitimate alternative in party where he said many are opposed to Trump but are “scared to death” of saying so publicly. His campaign slogan: “Be brave.” Polls shows Trump is backed by most Republican voters, and the lone rival already in the race is former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, the 2016 Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee who is regarded as fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Undeterred from pressing ahead with his candidacy, Walsh said, “I think this thing … will catch on like wildfire.” The former Trump booster added: “I’m a conservative. And I think there’s a decent chance to present to Republican voters a conservative without all the baggage.” Walsh narrowly won a House seat from suburban… Read full this story
- Trump GOP Opponent Joe Walsh Fundraises Off President's Sharpie-Map Controversy: 'DON'T LIE'
- Joe Walsh Says He's 'Said Racist Things on Twitter,' But 'Wouldn't Call Myself a Racist'
- Tea Party Favorite Joe Walsh to Challenge Trump in 2020 Republican Primary
- Joe Walsh: GOP Voters ‘Sick’ and ‘Tired’ of Trump and His Lies
- Ex-GOP Senator Claims Joe Biden 'Told Me Personally' He Did Not Believe Anita Hill During Hearings
- US-Taliban talks are back on, Donald Trump says in Afghanistan
- Family of ex-BBC radio host who was left in a coma following assault at a Benidorm bar release harrowing photo of him on life support machine in appeal to find attacker
- How to Talk About the Truth and Trump at Thanksgiving
- Rudy Giuliani Tells Chris Cuomo He Never Asked Ukraine to Investigate Joe Biden for Trump—Then Says 'Of Course I Did!'
- SoulCycle's CEO Melanie Whelan resigns in mutual agreement with the brand after customers boycotted classes this summer because owner Stephen Ross hosted a fundraiser for Trump
Ex-congressman, talk show host Joe Walsh to primary Trump have 376 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at August 25, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.