Single-use plastics have been banned in the Everest region to reduce the vast amounts of waste left by trekkers and mountaineers, Nepali authorities said Thursday. In addition to seeing a record number of climbers this year, a government-led cleaning initiative on Everest — the world’s highest mountain — also collected over 10 tonnes of trash. The new ban in Khumbu Pasang Lhamu rural municipality, home to Mount Everest and several other snow-capped mountains, covers all plastic of less than 30 microns in thickness as well as drinks in plastic bottles, and will be effective from January. “If we start now, it will help keep our region, the Everest and the mountains clean long term,” local official Ganesh Ghimire told AFP. The region receives over 50,000 tourists every year, including climbers and trekkers. The local body will work with trekking companies, airlines and the Nepal Mountaineering Association to enforce the ban, though no penalty has yet been decided for violation. Environmentalists are also concerned that the pollution on Everest is affecting water sources down in the valley. Six years ago, Nepal introduced a US$4,000 deposit per team of climbers on Everest that would be refunded if each climber brought down at… Read full this story
- Sky teams up with the Premier League to tackle single-use plastic
- Asuka Was Reportedly Banned From Using Signature Move At WrestleMania
- Seattle Soccer Fans Banned for Using Antifa Affiliated Display
- NCAA bans teams using former football players from practice
- Dead sperm whale found in Indonesia had ingested '6kg of plastic'
- St. Augustine Prep edges out Mainland Regional in close game.
- St. Augustine Prep edges Mainland Regional: Tennis roundup
- Sherpa guide trying to reach top of Mount Everest for 22nd time
- A Whole Foods dishwasher just broke her own record by climbing Everest for the ninth time
- A Whole Foods dishwasher broke her own record by climbing Everest for the ninth time
Everest region bans single-use plastic have 316 words, post on dtinews.vn at August 21, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.