Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg sets sail on Wednesday for New York, heading for a UN summit on a zero-emissions yacht skippered by a member of Monaco’s ruling family. The 16-year-old Swede, whose school strikes have inspired children across the world to protest against global warming, refuses to fly because of the carbon emissions caused by planes. But she has been offered a lift on the Malizia II racing yacht, along with her father Svante and a filmmaker to document the journey, that will allow her to attend the UN talks in September with a clear conscience. The 60-foot (18-metre) boat is skippered by Pierre Casiraghi, vice president of the Monaco Yacht Club and a member of the principality’s ruling family, and German round-the-world sailor Boris Herrmann. The journey takes about two weeks — the yacht can travel at speeds of around 35 knots (70 kilometres an hour) but will be heading into the wind for much of the time so will be slower, and the captain wants a smooth ride. “The objective is to arrive safe and sound in New York,” Herrmann told AFP as he made final preparations in the English port of Plymouth. – ‘Pressure on people… Read full this story
- 'Practically a Saint': Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Enters School Course on Religion in Sweden
- Q&A: Climate activist Greta Thunberg on global strikes
- Fox News host Laura Ingraham compares climate change activist Greta Thunberg, 16, to creepy kids from Stephen King's Children of the Corn - hours after another pundit called her a 'mentally ill child'
- British yacht skipper, 26, wiped out the carbon emissions saved by Greta Thunberg's sail across the Atlantic by flying out to the US to help her
- Jeremy Clarkson Brands Eco-Activist Greta Thunberg ‘Stupid Idiot’
- Scientists name new species of tiny, wingless beetle with long pigtail-like antennae after Greta Thunberg
- Greta Thunberg’s attackers are morally bankrupt, but her deification isn’t helpful
- Greta Thunberg: 'We need to do so much more,' says teenage climate change activist
- 2 Greta Thunberg books coming out in the United States
- Fox News apologizes to Greta Thunberg after a pundit calls the eco-warrior a 'mentally ill Swedish child' in the wake of her UN speech
Climate activist Greta Thunberg sets sail for NYC have 371 words, post on en.rfi.fr at August 13, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.