French President Emmanuel Macron (left) and first lady Brigitte Macron greet British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Saturday at the summit in Biarritz, France. BIARRITZ, France — President Donald Trump asserted Saturday that he has the authority to make good on his threat to force all U.S. businesses to leave China, citing a national security law that has been used mainly to target terrorists, drug traffickers and pariah states such as Iran, Syria and North Korea. As he arrived in France for the annual meeting of the Group of Seven powers, Trump posted a message on Twitter citing the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977, a law originally meant to enable a president to isolate criminal regimes, not sever economic ties with a major trading partner over a tariff dispute. “For all of the Fake News Reporters that don’t have a clue as to what the law is relative to Presidential powers, China, etc., try looking at the Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977,” Trump wrote. “Case closed!” The act gives presidents wide berth in regulating international commerce during times of declared national emergencies. Trump threatened to use those powers earlier this year to place tariffs on imports from… Read full this story
- Ex-CIA Director John Brennan Makes Dire Warning After Trump Withdraws From Iran Deal: ‘Dangerous Act’
- Jamal Khashoggi’s Alleged Murder Has All the Makings of a Legitimate Trump Scandal
- Jimmy Kimmel Uses Theater To Make Sense Of Donald Trump's Border Troops Plan
- Alan Dershowitz Makes Direct Appeal to Trump on Fox & Friends: ‘I Implore You to Stop’ Migrant Policy Now
- Seth Meyers Uses Cute Dog To Make Serious Point About Trump's 'Rotted-Out Soul'
- Democratic Congressman Makes Call to ‘Revoke’ Trump, Suggests Manafort Case Could Prove Trump Collusion
- Did He Pardon the Wrong Bird? Twitter Makes Stuffing Out of Trump After Turkey Ceremony
- Ben Shapiro Makes a Pitch to Trump: ‘I’m Only 34, I Could Be On The Court For 60 Years. Just Sayin!’
- Rosenstein May Be Leaving, But Will It Make Any Difference For Trump?
- Aimed at China, Trump’s tariffs are hitting closer to home
Can make firms exit China, Trump asserts have 355 words, post on www.arkansasonline.com at August 25, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.