Despite the hype around the latest handsets and a commitment from the new cabinet to prioritise connectivity, London risks losing out on the 5G opportunity. Much has been made of the country’s struggles to keep up with international competitors in the race to deliver world-class connectivity, while our imminent departure from the EU places greater onus on putting the UK at the forefront of network innovation – crucial to its appeal as a global business hub. Before sizing up international rivals, however, London must address some fundamental issues that could not only see it fall behind globally, but to challengers within its own borders. Unlike areas such as fintech, where the Square Mile’s financial heritage provided the foundation for excellence, the capital does not have the same advantage for 5G. To the contrary, London has a unique set of challenges that make it less capable of delivering the network than other UK cities. First, the financial restrictions of the boroughs mean that most do not have the capacity to deliver 5G strategies. A shortage of public funding is not unique to London, but the varying financial situations in each area bring different timelines and deals with telecoms companies. This makes… Read full this story
- 5G race full-speed ahead: Misguided attempt to nationalize is over, for now
- Qualcomm joins the 5G race in China, where it faces biggest competitor
- FCC to hold huge 5G spectrum auction, spend $20B for rural internet
- China investigates Swedish Ericsson as 5G race heats up
- Singapore risks destroying past in race to build: top archaeologist
- The despicable west London criminals jailed in November
- US Should Approve Sprint, T-Mobile Merger To Beat Huawei, Win 5G War
- What are the health risks associated with a 5G network?
- We need a bold new approach to tackle London’s housing crisis
- London Pride 2019: Where is the parade and when does it start?
Bureaucratic boroughs risk holding London back in the 5G race have 317 words, post on www.cityam.com at August 19, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.