WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is on a course to remake the face of immigration in America in ways that would turn it whiter and wealthier. It is a dramatic editing of the American catechism welcoming “your tired, your poor, your huddled masses , yearning to breathe free,” inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, to “your tired and your poor who can stand on their on their own two feet and will not become a public charge.” by signing up you agree to our terms of service The administration official who offered that rewrite, Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, affirmed on Wednesday that his words were intentional, including his added notion that the poem was written for Europeans. He said in a statement that his agency “is tasked with enforcing the law, not a poem.”It’s another defiant step in President Donald Trump’s long march to change the way the nation thinks about immigrants, an approach he hopes will win over enough voters to earn him a second term. He’s added… Read full this story
- AP Analysis: N. Carolina flashes warnings for Trump and Dems
- ET Analysis: The making of Maha Vikas Aghadi
- White House to push merit-based immigration in new campaign
- AP interview: Colombia to denounce Maduro at UN meeting
- Trump: Why allow immigrants from ‘shithole countries’?
- Study: There’s No Correlation Between Undocumented Immigration and Violent Crime
- ICE Has Tripled the Number of Undocumented Immigrants Without Criminal Records It Arrests
- Trump’s Immigration Policies Are Working (to Make America Poorer)
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s swipe at Puerto Rico, G-7 comments
- Analysis: Elizabeth Warren growing into front-runner status
AP Analysis: Moving to make immigration whiter, wealthier have 282 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at August 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.