Jake Coyle AP Film Writer Published 5:46 PM EDT Aug 25, 2019 New York – “Angel Has Fallen” easily topped the box office with a $21.3 million debut, according to studio estimates Sunday, as the action sequel became the latest mid-budget release to find modest success in the often quiet late summer. The Lionsgate film beat expectations going into the weekend, opening similarly to the previous 2016 installment “London Has Fallen.” The film series stars Gerard Butler as a Secret Service agent protecting the U.S. president played by Morgan Freeman. In “Angel Has Fallen,” Butler’s agent is wrongly accused of trying to assassinate the president. Going back to 2013’s “Olympus Has Fallen,” the franchise has been a quietly consistent performer, taking in roughly $200 million worldwide each time. “Angel Has Fallen,” produced for about $40 million by Millennium Films, is poised for a similar course, opening just shy of the $21.6 million “London Has Fallen” debut. David Spitz, president of domestic distribution for Lionsgate, pointed to the film’s A-minus CinemaScore and 94% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes (far better than the 39% critic score) as good word-of-mouth harbingers for the continued playability of “Angel Has Fallen” through the last weeks… Read full this story
- Will Sonic the Hedgehog Speed Past Birds of Prey at the Box Office?
- Can Power Rangers Beat Beauty and the Beast at the Box Office?
- Will Jigsaw Make a Killing at the Halloween Box Office?
- Can Resident Evil 6 Take Down Split at the Box Office?
- M. Night Shyamalan's Split Wins the Box Office 2 Weeks in a Row
- Ninja Turtles 2 Wins the Weekend Box Office with $35.2M
- Can Wonder Woman Save the Sinking Summer Box Office?
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ At $1.067B WW Through Monday; ‘Jumanji’ Does Rockin’ New Year’s Biz – International Box Office
- Will Mockingjay Part 2 Crush Krampus at the Box Office?
- Can The Martian Hold Off Burnt & Scouts at the Box Office?
'Angel Has Fallen' tops box office with $21.3 million debut have 320 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at August 25, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.