By Associated Press | PUBLISHED: August 29, 2019 at 2:50 pm | UPDATED: August 29, 2019 at 2:51 pm By FREIDA FRISARO and ADRIANA GOMEZ LICON MIAMI (AP) — Florida residents picked the shelves clean of bottled water and lined up at gas stations Thursday as an increasingly menacing-looking Hurricane Dorian threatened to broadside the state over Labor Day weekend. Leaving mercifully little damage in its wake in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, the second hurricane of the 2019 season swirled toward the U.S., with forecasters warning it will draw energy from the warm, open waters as it closes in. The National Hurricane Center said the Category 1 storm is expected to strengthen into a potentially catastrophic Cat 4 with winds of 130 mph (209 kph) and slam into the U.S. on Monday somewhere between the Florida Keys and southern Georgia — a 500-mile stretch that reflected the high degree of uncertainty this far out. “If it makes landfall as a Category 3 or 4 hurricane, that’s a big deal,” said University of Miami hurricane researcher Brian McNoldy. “A lot of people are going to be affected. A lot of insurance claims.” President Donald Trump said Florida is “going… Read full this story
- Hurricane Dorian gains strength as Florida braces for direct hit
- Puerto Rico braces for hit from Hurricane Dorian
- Gaining strength, Hurricane Dorian heads for Florida
- Hurricane Dorian gains might as it takes aim at Florida
- Hurricane Dorian batters Bahamas, edges closer to US coast
- Bahamas devastated by Hurricane Dorian
- At Least 7 Reported Dead in Bahamas Following Hurricane Dorian’s Devastation
- Trump Leery of ‘Very Bad Gang Members, Drug Dealers’ Entering US as Hurricane Dorian Evacuees Seek Refuge
- Trump Administration Reportedly Won’t Offer Temporary Protected Status to Bahamians Displaced by Hurricane Dorian
- Mexico-US NAFTA agreement eyed for Monday, Trump flags 'big deal'
‘A big deal’: Florida braces for Hurricane Dorian have 295 words, post on www.bostonherald.com at August 29, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.