WASHINGTON, US—Six police officers were wounded in a shooting in the US city of Philadelphia on Wednesday after reportedly responding to drug activity, a department spokesman said. “SIX (6) PPD Officers shot – at area hospitals with non life threatening injuries. Additional officers also receiving treatment for non-gunshot injuries,” Philadelphia police Sgt. Eric Gripp tweeted. “Suspect is still firing,” Gripp wrote around 6:20 pm local time (22:20 GMT). CBS News quoted police Captain Sekou Kinebrew as saying that the officers were originally responding to “narcotics activity” when the shooting began, sparking a major police response. The incident comes after 2 mass shootings in the US earlier this month — one in Dayton and the other in El Paso — left a total of 31 people dead. Despite rampant gun violence in the US, efforts to strengthen firearms regulations remain divisive in the country, where the powerful National Rifle Association works to block stricter rules.
- Jurors see dramatic footage of alleged knife attack on four police officers
- Man accused of stabbing off-duty police officer appears in court
- Black police officer convicted of murdering woman
- WATCH Moment Police Officers Arrest Suspect Behind Christchurch Mosque Shooting
- Interior Minister Soylu defends police officer accused of groping female protester
- Police officer's car rammed and almost pushed into water in Co Antrim
- Metropolitan Police officers cleared of misconduct over death of Sean Rigg
- Man convicted of bid to kill police officer ‘has shown no remorse’
- Terrorist who tried to kill police officer with car bomb jailed for 25 years
- Carradale police officer will not be replaced
6 US police officers wounded in Philadelphia shooting have 256 words, post on news.abs-cbn.com at August 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.