Team GB will head to Tokyo in just under a year with the unenviable task of following the record-breaking athletes who competed at the Rio Olympics three years ago. The British team brought home a best-ever 67 medals from Brazil, becoming the first nation to win more podiums in the Games immediately following a home Olympics. Three years ago, Britain finished an astonishing second in the medal table, behind only the United States and ahead of China, with 27 golds and 67 medals in all. This time, the expectation is to be strong contenders again, with UK Sport having set an initial target of 51-85 Olympic medals and a Paralympic target of 115-162. Yet Gracenote forecasts that China, Japan and Russia will leapfrog Team GB in Tokyo, pushing the 2012 hosts down to fifth with an estimated 43 medals. Max Whitlock is again tipped to shine, while Katarina Johnson-Thompson, Adam Peaty and Dina Asher-Smith are among those considered strong medal contenders. Here’s what you need to know ahead of the Summer Games… When are the Tokyo Olympics? The Summer Games will run from Friday, July 24 until Sunday, August 9. The opening ceremony will be held at the New National Stadium… Read full this story
- Usain Bolt: Tokyo 2020 is 'too far away'
- London Can Host 2020 Olympic Games if Moved Over Coronavirus: Mayor Candidate For British Capital
- IOC face ‘big communications job’ as virus jitters hit Tokyo Olympics
- Salt Lake City eyes 2034 Olympics after Sapporo bid for 2030
- Olympic dream drives Australia's top female weightlifter to get to Tokyo Games
- Deepak Punia eyes Olympic glory to move past Nur-Sultan final disappointment
- Golfer Park In-bee Aims for Chance to Win Another Olympic Medal
- Tokyo commuters bound for Olympic crowd crush as Japan Inc rules out work from home
- The Best Nintendo Switch Deals January 2020: Switch Lite, Games, Accessories, And More
- Tokyo warned to 'think the unthinkable' amid fears Olympics could be cancelled
Tokyo 2020 Olympics: What you need to know have 317 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at July 24, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.