Associated Press Published 6:32 PM EDT Jul 4, 2019 San Francisco – The strongest earthquake in 20 years shook a large swath of Southern California and parts of Nevada on Thursday, rattling nerves on the July 4th holiday and causing some injuries and damage in a town near the epicenter, followed by a swarm of ongoing aftershocks. The 6.4 magnitude quake struck at 10:33 a.m. in the Mojave Desert, about 150 miles northeast of Los Angeles, near the town of Ridgecrest, California. Multiple injuries and two house fires were reported in the town of 28,000. Emergency crews were also dealing with small vegetation fires, gas leaks and reports of cracked roads, said Kern County Fire Chief David Witt. He said 15 patients were evacuated from the Ridgecrest Regional Hospital as a precaution and out of concern for aftershocks. Kern County District Supervisor Mick Gleason told CNN there were some structural issues with the hospital and some patients had to be moved from one ward to another and that others were taken to a neighboring building. Gleason did not say what the structural issues were. Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden said that utility workers were assessing broken gas lines and turning off gas where… Read full this story
- Crews make progress on large Southern California wildfire
- Southern California blaze threatens homes, orchards and oil fields
- All evacuations lifted for Southern California wildfire
- 'Vandalism of Southern California Gurdwara a hate crime'
- Movie Milestone: 20 years of Rajinikanth's Padayappa
- Is this proof McDonald's has SHRUNK its Big Macs? Radio hosts find star of advert from 20 years ago and compare photos of him holding the iconic burger now and then
- Celebration of the century! Alabama grocery store throws a 100th birthday party for dedicated employee of 20 years, complete with cake, a marching band, and a visit from the mayor
- Massive earthquake hits Southern California, felt in Los Angeles and Las Vegas
- Firefighters make gains against wildfire in Southern California farm country
- Firefighters beat back Southern California wildfire as winds lighten
Strongest quake in 20 years rattles Southern California have 328 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at July 4, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.