Greg Sargent, The Washington Post Published 7:44 am PDT, Friday, July 19, 2019 Credulous pundits told us for days that President Donald Trump’s racist attacks on nonwhite lawmakers were brilliant politics, but Republicans disagree: They are widely warning Trump that presiding over a rally chant of “send her back,” directed at a nonwhite lawmaker, is putting the party at serious political risk. Trump pretended to disavow the chant on Thursday, claiming he didn’t approve even though video contradicts this, and we are now learning from the New York Times that he came under intense private pressure to do so, including from Vice President Pence and Ivanka Trump. Yet even as many Republicans profess discomfort with Trump’s display, here’s what else is happening: Trump is effectively trying to end asylum seeking at the southern border, and Politico now reports that the administration is seriously mulling an effort to slash refugee admissions to near-zero. Generally speaking, Republicans are unlikely to be troubled by these things. These things are not necessarily contradictory. It’s theoretically possible to support dramatic asylum and refugee cuts for reasons not rooted in the white nationalism driving Trump’s attacks on Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., and the other lawmakers, all racial,… Read full this story
- Editor's Viewpoint: Secret NHS dossier reveals scary truths
- New NHS Scotland chief executive revealed
- Trump racism controversy; riots mar Bastille Day
- Martin Lewis reveals surprising truth about service charges
- Angel Gomes' new Man Utd squad number 'revealed'
- Milton Keynes link to £50 as new face of banknote is revealed
- Some in GOP rebuke Trump, but party leaders still silent
- Belmayne: ‘It will take an actual fire to reveal the truth’
- Emilia Clarke reveals the truth behind THAT coffee cup on GoT
- Revealed: The truth about Kiwi travellers behaviour
New GOP panic about Trump's racism reveals an ugly truth have 299 words, post on www.sfgate.com at July 19, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.