Netflix Inc. is removing a controversial graphic scene depicting a youth suicide from its popular young adult drama 13 Reasons Why, following advice from medical experts, the company said on its Twitter account early on Tuesday. The show, based on a book of the same name, depicts the suicide of the protagonist in the last episode of season 1, with a scene of the youth Hannah slitting her wrists in a bathtub. The company said on Twitter that on the advice of medical experts it had “decided with the creator Brian Yorkey and the producers of 13 Reasons Why to edit the scene in which Hannah takes her own life.” In an emailed statement early on Tuesday, a Netflix spokesperson said, “We’ve heard from many young people that 13 Reasons Why encouraged them to start conversations about difficult issues like depression and suicide.” While critically acclaimed, the show has drawn criticism from groups including the Parents Television Council (PTC), which claims the show glorifies teen suicide. The move to edit the scene drew praise from a number of agencies including the PTC, which has also lobbied Netflix to drop the show entirely. “Netflix has finally acknowledged the harmful impact that explicit content, such as the graphic… Read full this story
- Netflix adds warning to teen suicide series '13 Reasons Why'
- Selena Gomez debuts 'passion project,' suicide drama '13 Reasons Why'
- 13 reasons why a conversation about rape culture is as important as one about suicide
- Is '13 Reasons Why' more controversial than other depictions of suicide?
- The cutting storyline in '13 Reasons Why' is scary but true
- '13 Reasons Why': Schools warn about impact of show featuring teen suicide
- OPINION: 13 Reasons Why a threat to teenagers
- How '13 Reasons Why' gets suicide wrong: Voices
- Panelists critical of '13 Reasons Why' at Neenah town hall
- Mental health experts urge caution for teens watching '13 Reasons Why'
Netflix deletes suicide scene from 13 Reasons Why have 317 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at July 16, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.