It would not be an easy task to reclaim ex-mining sites that have been contaminated with mercury but it is necessary to prevent the negative impact on the society, she admitted. Illegal public mines must be closed based on the law No. 32/2009 on the protection and management of the environment, she said. In the near future, the government will restore the condition of Mount Botak in Buru Island, Maluku Province that had been damaged by illegal gold mines. “Usually it will take one to two years for the recovery,” she said and added that the ministry has conducted an evaluation on the levels of contamination and methods that could be used to reclaim the area. Sumatra, Kalimantan and West Nusa Tenggara are among regions in the country that were heavily contaminated by mercury and need recovery action. Two districts in West Nusa Tenggara are so badly contaminated with mercury that it has forced the authority to ban people from consuming meat produced by these two regions. Regions with public small-scale mines that did not use mercury will get gold processing facilities between Rp1.2 billion and Rp1.5 billion, Ratnawati said. (INE) EDITED BY INE
- Mercury Can Cause Brain Damage In Kids. The EPA Wants To Weaken Rules On Its Emissions.
- Mercury Systems Receives $6.7M BuiltSECURE Memory Order for Airborne Computing Application
- Coming Clean: EPA cleaned lead-contaminated soil at Muhlenberg personal care home
- Mercury Systems Receives $9.2M Order for Custom Radiation-Tolerant Solid-State Drive Devices
- 1953 Mercury Monterey is a perfect example of '50s cool
- Hayward murder defendant linked to stabbing of Mercury News reporter in San Jose
- State income tax relief approved for Carson residents dealing with environmental contamination
- Assured water was safe, Newark residents outraged after testing reveals lead contamination
- Killing frost hits Capital Region and snow is on horizon
- Trump Gearing up for Government Shutdown: 'If It Happens, It Happens'
Government to reclaim regions contaminated by mercury have 315 words, post on en.antaranews.com at July 22, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.