Janko Roettgers, provided by
Published 10:38 am PDT, Monday, July 15, 2019
Photo: Courtesy Of AirTV L.L.C.
Dish’s AirTV subsidiary is releasing a new streaming device designed to combine over-the-air broadcast TV with the company’s Sling TV service and other streaming services. The new AirTV Mini streaming stick looks similar to a Fire TV stick, and is powered by Google’s Android TV software.
The AirTV Mini stick is 4K-capable, allowing consumers to stream 4K programming from YouTube and other services on compatible TV sets. It retails for $79.99, and is available through the AirTV website.
Dish first unveiled an AirTV-branded streaming box in early 2017. That device was also based on Android TV, and could be used to watch over-the-air broadcast television with the addition of a USB tuner. The company has since introduced a connected TV tuner that can be used to stream broadcast TV to connected TVs and mobile devices.
Consumers who buy the new AirTV Mini streaming stick still need such a tuner to actually watch free broadcast TV with it. Together, the two devices make it possible to capture over-the-air feeds from networks like ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox and combine them with a Sling TV subscription in the same interface.
This combination is meant to alleviate one key shortcoming of Sling TV: To keep costs down, the Dish-owned streaming service has long focused on cable channels. Sling TV does offer local Fox and NBC programming in select markets as part of its $25 per month “orange” package, but the service has been steering consumers looking for more local programming to broadcast antennas and devices like AirTV.
- LG releasing new Google TV products in the first half of 2013
- Quick comparison: Shield Android TV vs. Nexus Player vs. Razer Forge TV
- Don’t hold your breath! Apple won’t make a cheap streaming stick anytime soon
- Locast is the free TV streaming service that refuses to die
- You can now buy NVIDIA's new Shield TV remote for $30
- Best live TV streaming services: Hulu, Sling TV, YouTube TV, and more
- A new Apple TV could be coming soon: tvOS beta contains new hardware hints
- The wait gets shorter: Apple hints at a November release date for TV+
- Netflix: New Movies, TV Shows, And Originals This Week (February 2-8)
- What's Coming To Hulu In February 2020: New Movies, TV Shows, And Originals
- What's On Netflix In February 2020? Locke & Key Premieres, New Movies, TV Shows, And More
- Netflix Releases New Kind of Video to Save on Cellular Data
- Documents point to “Android TV,” Google’s latest bid for the living room
- YouTube TV review: The best premium live-TV streaming service
- Apple might be releasing a new Apple TV soon
- Coming To Netflix In February 2020: Locke & Key, New Movies, TV Shows, And More
- New On Disney Plus In February 2020: New Movies, TV Shows, Originals, And More Clone Wars
- Hisense unveils the 55 and 65 inch XT780 with integrated Google TV
- OnePlus TV gets option to disable motion smoothing in Dolby Vision, Spotify integration
- Realme will debut its first Smart TV at MWC 2020
Dish’s AirTV Releases New Android TV Streaming Stick have 630 words, post on www.sfgate.com at July 15, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.