An explosion and a fire at a fuel terminal in Carson sent one person to a hospital with injuries Monday morning, fire officials said.
Three other were evaluated at the scene and released.
The explosion at Kinder Morgan’s Carson terminal in the 2000 Block of E. Sepulveda Boulevard was reported at around 5:45 a.m., the company said in a statement.
Los Angeles County Fire Department officials said the explosion was sparked when workers were loading jet fuel onto a tanker truck.
The blast led to a fire on a truck rack at the terminal. Video from the scene showed firefighters spraying a badly damaged tanker with white foam.
“The fire is now out,” L.A. County fire officials said in a tweet at 9:40 a.m. It’s not clear how long it took to douse the fire.
A Kinder Morgan spokeswoman said the fire was isolated to the truck rack.
A plume of black smoke could be seen hanging over Carson early Monday as a result of the fire.
The spokeswoman said the company was aware of one person who was injured, a truck driver. She said the driver was not a Kinder Morgan employee. She said all of the company’s employees at the terminal had been accounted for.
The company said the driver was transported to a local hospital.
L.A. County Fire Department officials were unavailable for comment.
The terminal was evacuated during the fire, and a nearby road was closed.
Kinder Morgan and fire officials said an investigation will be conducted into what caused the fire.
The company’s Carson terminal, which it acquired in 2001, spans 100 acres of pipelines and storage for crude oil, petroleum products and ethanol. Kinder Morgan is one of the largest oil and natural pipeline companies in North America, according to its website.
Staff writer Josh Cain contributed to this report.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Truck Driver Benefits
- How Much Do Truck Drivers Make?
- UCP says it will reconsider truck driver training after hearing from Humboldt Broncos families
- Exercise Tips For the Long Haul Truck Driver
- Safety Tips For Truck Drivers
- Truck Drivers Can Beat Back the Depression Monster
- Accidents Involving Foreign Truck Drivers in the UK
- Rajasthan: Truck driver’s body buried as kin, administration reach compromise
- News24.com | Mpumalanga truck driver facing perjury, theft charges after allegedly lying about hijacking
- Truck Driver Fatigue and How to Protect Yourself