Helene St. James Detroit Free Press
Published 9:24 PM EDT Jun 21, 2019
VANCOUVER, British Columbia — At sixth overall in the 2019 NHL draft, the Detroit Red Wings picked German defenseman Moritz Seider at Rogers Arena.
Seider was rookie of the year in the DEL, Germany’s top men’s hockey league in 2018-19. He had six points in 29 games for Mannheim. He brings size at 6 feet 3 and 208 pounds, and shoots right. Moritz looked stunned to hear his name called so early.
It was the first pick with Steve Yzerman as general manager. Seider was ranked sixth among European skaters in final draft rankings. The Wings passed up several highly rated forwards — Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras, Cole Caufield — and the pick reflects the lack of defensemen depth in the organization.
Follow: 2019 NHL draft live updates: Tracking every pick, analysis, trades
More: Meet the 2019 NHL draftees with prominent Michigan ties
Jack Hughes of the U.S. NTDP went first overall, as he’d been projected to do for more than a year. The New Jersey Devils had the luck of selecting. him. The New York Rangers picked Kaapo Kakko at second. Those two were expected,
The Chicago Blackhawks chose center Kirby Dach at third overall. He was someone the Wings scouted heavily and had very high on their list. Bowen Byram, the top-rated defenseman, went at fourth overall to the Colorado Avalanche.
The Los Angeles Kings picked NTDP’s Alex Turcotte at fifth.
Seider joins recent first round picks in 2018’s Filip Zadina (sixth), 2017’s Michael Rasmussen (ninth), 2016’s Dennis Cholowski (20th) and 2015’s Evgeny Svechnikov (19th). Cholowski is a defenseman, all the others are forwards.
Contact Helene St. James at [email protected] Follow her on Twitter @helenestjames. Read more on the Detroit Red Wings and sign up for our Red Wings newsletter.
- Call of the Wilde: Montreal Canadiens drop home opener to the Detroit Red Wings
- Red Wing end 9-game skid against Montreal with 4-2 win
- Ducks cool Red Wings hot start
- Red Wings end nine-game skid against Montreal with win
- Anthony Mantha nets winner as Red Wings edge Habs
- Canadiens take on the Red Wings in Eastern Conference showdown
- 5 London Knights on the radar for 2020 NHL draft
- Ritchie gets key goal, Ducks beat Red Wings to stay unbeaten
- Pastrnak scored 3 goals, Bruins beat winless Red Wings 8-2
- Colton Hunchak, the last player picked in 2019 CFL draft, is first to admit he's living his dream