Patrick Whittle Associated Press Published 5:23 PM EDT Jun 30, 2019 Portland, Maine — Baby lobsters are continuing to appear in high numbers off some parts of Atlantic Canada while tailing off in New England, raising questions about what the valuable shellfish’s population will look like in several years. University of Maine scientist Rick Wahle has documented trends in baby lobster density for years, and released new data for 2018 this month. The new data reinforce recent trends about lobsters that show upticks off sites in Atlantic Canada, such as some areas in Nova Scotia, Wahle said. Meanwhile, the Gulf of Maine reported below average numbers from Bar Harbor to Cape Cod, he said. Young lobsters settle into the ocean bottom, where they take shelter as they grow. Wahle tracks where lobsters are settling in 23 areas from Rhode Island to Prince Edward Island. This year’s data showed high totals in Canadian locations such as St. Mary’s Bay, Nova Scotia, and the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence, but low numbers in Maine fishing areas such as the Midcoast region and Casco Bay. American fishermen compete with Canada for the same species of lobster, which anchors one of the most lucrative… Read full this story
- Florida Lobster Mini-Season Begins At Midnight, But Many Marinas Will Be Closed
- Florida Lobster Mini-Season Underway
- Atlantic Hurricane Season Just Started And Records Have Already Been Broken
- Police stop gangs of cockle pickers from harvesting shellfish on beach where they aren't safe to eat and could prove deadly for children
- There will NOT be a Covid-19 baby boom: Experts predict number of pregnancies will fall as the pandemic fades because couples are too busy and have money worries
- Unfazed by coronavirus, Egypt's farmers harvest their wheat
- State Department enters next phase of reopening, leaving some officials concerned
- Making an entrance! How to spruce up the often neglected staircase and add value to your home
- Pregnant Rochelle Humes looks radiant as she cradles baby bump in beige buttoned wrap dress
- Trending Eyeliner Styles For You To Follow Now!
Baby lobster trend in Atlantic adds to harvest concerns have 341 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at June 30, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.