Conservative leadership contender Andrea Leadsom has admitted to smoking cannabis.
Ms Leadsom, 56, was being questioned about her past drug use after the revelation that her leadership rival Michael Gove took cocaine ‘on several occasions’ when he was a journalist 20 years ago.
She admitted to smoking the drug while at Warwick University in the 1990s but insisted she had never taken a class A drug like cocaine.
Conservative leadership contender Andrea Leadsom has admitted to smoking cannabis
Ms Leadsom, 56, was being questioned about her past drug use after the revelation that her leadership rival Michael Gove took cocaine ‘on several occasions’ when he was a journalist 20 years ago
In an interview with the Independent she said: ‘Everyone is entitled to a private life before becoming an MP.
‘I smoked weed at university and have never smoked it again since.’
Mr Gove admitted his drug-taking past by saying: ’I took drugs on several occasions at social events more than 20 years ago.
‘At the time I was a young journalist. It was a mistake. I look back and think, “I wish I hadn’t done that”.
‘It was 20 years ago and, yes, it was a mistake. But I don’t believe that past mistakes disqualify you.’
Former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab, who admitted smoking cannabis as a student, believes Mr Gove’s law-breaking should not rule him out of becoming Prime Minister
Ms Leadsom is now the fourth Conservative party leadership contender to have owned up to taking drugs in the past.
Rory Stewart confessed to smoking opium at an Iranian wedding while Jeremy Hunt admitted to once drinking a cannabis lassi (an Indian yoghurt-based drink).
Following Michael Gove’s cocaine admission, leadership rival Dominic Raab said: ‘I certainly don’t see it barring him from this race in any way,’ adding: ‘I rather admire his honesty.’
Mr Raab, who has previously admitted taking cannabis as a student, told BBC Radio 4’s Today: ‘It was a long time ago and pretty few and far between. I have never taken cocaine or any class A drugs.’
He said class A drugs ‘are a bit different’ but ‘I’m not going to cast any further aspersions on Michael or anyone else who is just honest about being human and doing the things that some young people do – not everyone, obviously – and holding their hand up and saying ‘I got that wrong, move on”.
Ms Leadsom quit as Leader of the Commons last month because she felt unable to introduce Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement Bill.
- Theresa May begged Andrea Leadsom not to quit from her No10 bunker as she faced final downfall
- Boris Johnson questioned Michael Gove's mental health calling him 'a bit cracked' after being betrayed during 2016 Tory leadership race, David Cameron's memoirs reveal
- High Tories: how the leadership candidates' drug pasts compare
- Michael Gove reveals his 'deep regret' at taking cocaine on 'several occasions at social events more than 20 years ago' but says it should not 'disqualify' him from being next Prime Minister
- Theresa May RESIGNS and finally admits defeat after Brexit shambles insisting ‘I’ve done my best’
- How David Cameron fell for 21-year-old 'hippy-like art student' Samantha during 'blissful week' partying together... and how Theresa May walked in on her having a final dance and smoke around Number 10's kitchen
- Brexit chaos isn't all my fault, says David Cameron: Ex-PM pins blame on Theresa May and MPs who voted against her deal but admits he is 'haunted' by his referendum defeat
- What happens next after Theresa May steps down as Prime Minister and Tory leader?
- Victim's family yell 'Yes!' as drug dealer, 19, is convicted of murdering Jaden Moodie, 14, who was knocked off his moped and stabbed to death in 14 seconds of horror
- The Guardian view on post-Brexit politics: in place of leadership
- Tories nuclear letter: It's civil war as Gove and Boris write to PM accusing him of damaging democracy with lies over immigration
- PETER MCKAY: Why do we tolerate the jihadis in our midst?
- World Health Organization declares China's coronavirus is a HIGH risk to other countries and admits it rated it 'moderate' by MISTAKE last week - as death toll rises to 82
- Three Japanese citizens evacuated from Wuhan test POSITIVE for new coronavirus that has killed 170 - as the Philippines and India become the latest countries to confirm cases
- Ukip elects Diane James as new party leader
- Scottish researchers find 100 genes linked to depression
- 66 Fascinating Facts About Oprah Winfrey
- Why should I fear the Conservatives? 24 awful policies you can't forget as Boris Johnson looks set for Number 10
- Margot Robbie, Zac Efron,
- Britain's sitting MEPs on their long goodbye: ‘People say, “You’re still here!”’
Andrea Leadsom becomes latest Tory leadership hopeful to admit doing drugs after revealing she smoked cannabis while at university have 791 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 8, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.