LONDON: Belgian defender Vincent Kompany said on Sunday he would be leaving Manchester City after helping the Premier League club to a become the first team to win the English treble of league championship and both domestic cups.
“We’ve just seen the close of an incredible season. My 11th as a Blue. And I cannot believe I’m writing this but … also my last as a Blue,” the City captain wrote in an open letter to fans on his Facebook page (www.facebook.com/pg/vincentkompany/).
“Man City has given me everything. I’ve tried to give back as much as I possibly could. How often does someone get the chance to end such an important chapter, representing a club with such great history and tradition, in such a great fashion?”
“The time has come for me to go now.”
The 33-year-old central defender said he would be posting a second part of the letter “shortly” with details of his future plans.
City crushed Watford 6-0 in the FA Cup final on Saturday to complete the unprecedented treble, after which Kompany said they were the best team in the world.
Kompany scored with a thunderous long-range strike to decide their penultimate league match of the season against Leicester City, a key moment in their retaining the Premier League title.
“It’s cliché to say it but it’s also so true: without my teammates I would have never been here today,” he added.
“We fought many battles together. Side by side. In good times and in bad. So to all of you, from the 2008-2009 squad to today’s domestic Treble winners: I owe you guys!
“A special word also to (manager) Pep (Guardiola) and the backroom staff: you’ve been superb. You’ve followed me through so much hardship. You made me come back stronger every time. Thank you so much.”
(Reporting by Nick Mulvenney in Sydney, Editing by Alison Williams)
- Domenec Torrent: Man City assistant leaves after 11 years with Pep Guardiola
- Man City: Premier League champions close to signing Riyad Mahrez & Jorginho
- Pep Guardiola: Yaya Toure says Man City boss 'often has problems with Africans'
- Man City transfer news RECAP
- Patrick Vieira leaves door open for Man City return
- The jobs available at Man City and Manchester United next season
- Xherdan Shaqiri finally admits it... he IS leaving Stoke City this summer
- Guardiola wants Man City to sign Mahrez in time for US tour
- Bristol City attacking target set to leave Norwich City
- Moses Odubajo will leave Hull City after turning down contact extension