Southwest Airlines is removing the grounded 737 Max 8 from its schedule for at least two more months, until Aug. 5, the company told customers on Thursday.
As a result, more Southwest passengers will have to adjust their itineraries to accommodate their summer travel plans. But at least they — and Southwest — will get an earlier start on the process.
“Our teams are working to further increase the reliability of our schedule and reduce the amount of last-minute flight changes, especially during the upcoming summer travel season,” Southwest President Tom Nealon wrote to members of Southwest’s Rapid Rewards loyalty program.
The Max has been involved in two crashes abroad, including one last month in Ethiopia. The plane was grounded by regulators in the U.S. on March 13, forcing airlines to cancel thousands of flights and strand some passengers.
Southwest has 34 of the Max aircraft in its fleet, more than any other airline. The Max already had been removed from Southwest’s schedule through June 7. American Airlines and United also had extended Max-related cancellations through June 5.
- Boeing suffers its first annual loss in 22 YEARS after 737 MAX crisis, as beleaguered company now braces for travel impact of coronavirus
- Will passengers be willing to fly on the Boeing 737 Max?
- Boeing posts first annual loss since 1997 as 737 Max costs rise
- FAA says 737 Max could return sooner than Boeing said
- Boeing posts first annual loss in 22 years because of the 737 Max crisis
- Boeing's bill for the 737 MAX grounding could exceed $25 BILLION - but new CEO vows to resume production in spring, months before troubled plane returns to service
- Boeing Secures $12 Billion Loan to Recover from 737 Max Crisis
- Nations, airlines grounding Boeing's 737 MAX
- Boeing Posts First Annual Loss in 20 Years, ‘Significantly Impacted’ by 737 MAX Grounding
- SpiceJet to take 'substantial' profit hit from 737 MAX grounding: Ajay Singh