She was 24 and had a boyfriend, but neither was ready to wed. And it was 1993, when sex before marriage was still very much a taboo in the conservative country. Keeping the baby would have meant living with stigma, even if the couple married after the birth, so she chose an illegal abortion — also a taboo. The country’s constitutional court is due to rule Thursday on the legality of the ban, which campaigners say is unfairly applied and targets mostly young, unwed women. “I still remember the disgusted look on the doctor’s face -– he kept on clicking his tongue and shook his head,” Lim told AFP. “When I told him it hurt when he inserted a medication, he said it shouldn’t hurt me because I was a woman who had already ‘done everything’. It was humiliating.” Fast forward 26 years, and South Korea remains one of the few developed economies that still bans abortions except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s health is in danger. Women who undergo the procedure can be jailed for a year and fined, while doctors who carry out terminations can be given two years in prison. The law is… Read full this story
- Ohio's abortion laws are extreme. The GOP wants your state to be like Ohio.
- Trump, here's how to make America's anti-abortion laws great again
- These women are using drones to defy Northern Ireland's draconian anti-abortion laws
- Fifth Circuit Judges Hear Arguments on Texas' Restrictive Abortion Law
- Meet the woman who guides pregnant teens through Alabama’s terrifying abortion laws
- El Salvador considers partial pivot on world's worst anti-abortion law
- States Are Competing to Pass the Country's Worst Anti-Abortion Laws
- Federal Court Rejects Satanist’s Religious Challenge to Missouri’s Abortion Laws
- Ireland Has Made Some (Very) Minor Improvements in Its Abortion Laws
- Alabama Law Would Punish Women Who Have Abortions With 99 Years In Prison
South Korean women hope for change to abortion laws have 310 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at April 9, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.