NEW YORK (AP) — Seven films in, the DC Extended Universe is finally flying with some wind behind its back. The well-reviewed, more modestly budgeted “Shazam!” debuted with $53.5 million over the weekend.
“Shazam!” has collected an estimated $56.8 million in total, including about $3 million from early advance screenings. Made for about $100 million, “Shazam!” follows recent DC successes such as “Aquaman” and “Wonder Woman.”
Paramount Pictures’ “Pet Sematary” remake opened in second with $25 million. It’s a decent start for the Stephen King adaptation, though far from the haul that the last big-screen adaptation of King’s conjured up. “It” opened with $123.4 million in 2017.
Last week’s top film, “Dumbo,” slid to third with $18.2 million.
- Win: DC Comics Stuff Via Titan Books!
- Everything We Learned About ‘Justice League,’ ‘Wonder Woman II,’ and the State of DC Comics at Comic-Con
- Riverdale to Do a Halloween Episode in Season 4, Might Reference DC Comics Characters
- DC Comics' Jim Lee Stuns With 'Evangelion' Sketch
- India Vs West Indies 2nd ODI: Hat-trick boy Kuldeep, centurions Rohit-Rahul hand India massive win - As it happened
- Could Margot Robbie's all-female superhero movie be DC's trump card?
- DC Announces New Plastic Man Series From Gail Simone
- All Of The No-Shows That Didn't Make The Warner Bros Panel At Comic-Con
- Warner Bros Head Reveals New Vision for DC Movies
- 50 of the best comics for kids
- 53 movies that we loved this decade
- Early Birds of Prey Box Office Tracking Is on Par with Shazam
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 12/18/2019
- Geoff Johns to Write and Produce DC's 'Green Lantern Corps' Movie
- Nightwing Movie Director Defends Film's Absence From Comic-Con
- How the Success of Marvel’s Female Superheroes Heralds a More Inclusive Age of Comics
- Conan the Barbarian Makes His Marvel Universe Debut
- DC Universe Reveals "Robotic Super-Egg"
- Before his death Sancar Kavvas found hope in his comics, now they're for sale
- India Vs West Indies, 3rd ODI: Virat's 85, Jadeja-Thakur late exploits give India series-clinching win - As it happened
'Shazam!' debuts with $53.5M, handing DC Comics another win have 313 words, post on apnews.com at April 7, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.