Sgt. Vince Lewis with the Phoenix Police Department announced at a press conference Friday that 20-year-old Joshua Gonzalez had been booked and charged with first-degree murder in the killing of Summerbell Brown.
According to police, it was a community tipster who led investigators to look at Gonzalez, whom Lewis described as having an extensive criminal history riddled with violence.
On Wednesday at 5:45 p.m. Phoenix police responded to calls of a shooting at a residence near 3800 W. Moreland St. They found the Brown family inside a vehicle in the driveway of the home with two of the four passengers suffering from what appeared to be gunshot wounds.
Lewis said that investigators discovered that the Brown family had been involved in a road-rage incident just before the shooting, during which their car allegedly cut off a white pickup belonging to Gonzalez not far from their home.
Police say Gonzalez reportedly followed the family home and was confronted by Summerbell’s father, Dharquintium Brown.
That’s when police say Gonzalez fired his gun, striking the vehicle several times before taking off.
Summerbell was critically wounded and was transported to an area hospital with her father who was also struck.
She was pronounced dead a short time after.
Brown was treated for his injuries and later released and police say he is expected to survive.
Lewis said that tips connected to a composite sketch and an image of Gonzalez’s truck are what ultimately led to his arrest.
“Police investigators identified the truck as the same vehicle used in the crime, even after modifications were actively made to change the vehicle’s appearance.”
Lewis said the wheels and tires had been changed. Police obtained a search warrant and found the gun used in the shooting inside Gonzalez’s garage.
In addition to the first degree murder charge, Gonzalez was charged with three counts of aggravated assault.
- Chennai: 29-year-old man held for rape and murder of a 10-year-old girl
- 10-year-old girl raped, murdered in Maduravoyal
- Gainesville Resident Arrested For Road Rage Shooting: Police
- Police declare fleeing suspect wanted over defilement of 10-year-old in Enugu
- 10-year-old is killed by school bus in Brooklyn, police say
- Tennessee Family Members, 12-Year-Old Girl, Among Victims of Man's Alleged Killing Spree
- Gang members jailed for shooting of five-year-old girl
- Japanese man sentenced to 16 years in prison over fatal abuse of 10-year-old daughter
- UP Man Barges into 16-year-old Girl's House, Rapes Her and Slits Nose Before Fleeing
- Remains Found in Florida Identified as Diana Alvarez, 9-Year-Old Girl Missing Since 2016
- Coronavirus in Maharashtra: 3-year-old girl from Kalyan tests positive
- 4-Time Felon Sentenced to 6 Years for Hit-and-Run Crash that Killed 9-Year-Old Girl
- Arrest Made In Gessner Road Rage Shooting: Police
- 10-Year-Old Model with Skin Condition Challenges Beauty Standards: 'You Don't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful'
- Tim Allen's 10-Year-Old Daughter Makes Rare Appearance to Support Dad at
- Death row inmate, 55, who DA says is 'likely innocent' is hospitalized with coronavirus symptoms after his exoneration trial over murder of four-year-old girl was delayed due to pandemic
- Man arrested in death of western Alaska girl
- Family Fears Missing 9-Year-Old Was Abducted and Trafficked After Man Is Sentenced for Pornographic Images of Her
- Alleged paedophile is charged after 'molesting a 12-year-old on a train'
- 68-year-old man who recovered from COVID-19 dies in Mumbai
Man arrested for fatal road-rage shooting of 10-year-old girl have 560 words, post on nypost.com at April 5, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.