“Indonesia is and will continue to stick to its commitment to achieve, maintain, and enhance food security and nutrition alongside guaranteeing the welfare of farmers,” Minister Fachir emphasized here on Thursday.
The minister delivered the statement at the opening session of the Regional Conference on Strengthening Southeast Asia Food Security, Nutrition, and Farmer Welfare through the UN Decade of Family Farming.
Fachir pointed out that Indonesia had continued to prioritize food security in its national development agenda.
“Indonesia, home to some 260 million people, has given top priority to food security as national security. It is crucial that we ensure food security, particularly since it will impact not only us as a country but the region too,” he reiterated.
The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) stated that Indonesia had progressed notably in terms of agricultural development in recent years, as was apparent by Indonesia’s cereal production doubling in the three decades covering 1979-2009 period.
“The FAO noted that Indonesia, one of the world’s most populous nations, had managed to realize self-sufficiency in food and strategic crops and boost the overall level of food security,” Fachir pointed out.
The minister revealed that the government had offered the ownership of some three hectares of land to 24 million skilled members of the farming community.
EDITED BY INE
- Get used to it, coaches. The new early signing period helps level the playing field for recruits
- MLS expansion city profile: Indianapolis
- Meet the voice of student-athletes as Noah Knight prepares to help shape the NCAA
- The Latest: Women's heptathlon underway at Rio Olympics
- The Latest: Andrew Bogut not playing in game against China
- The Latest: Manuel all business in prelims a day after gold
- The Latest: US, Sweden head to penalties in women's soccer
- The Latest: US women ousted by Sweden after penalty kicks
- The Latest: Italian Bacosi wins gold in women's skeet
- The Latest: With loss, US women to miss first Olympic final
- Why was Bulldog Stadium overhaul shelved? It didn't pencil out, Fresno State president says
- Lane Johnson’s bold move to sue his own union is rare, but not unprecedented
- Week in Wrestling: Bobby Lashley says Trump isn’t racist; Shane Helms on Brady and Ric Flair
Indonesia committed to enhancing food security, farmers' welfare have 387 words, post on en.antaranews.com at April 4, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.