A Winchester man pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a second-degree murder charge in connection with a crash that killed a veteran California Highway Patrol officer in Lake Elsinore over the weekend.Riverside County prosecutors allege that Michael Joseph Callahan, 36, was driving under the influence of alcohol about 4:30 p.m. Saturday when he drove his gray Toyota Corolla onto the right shoulder of the 15 Freeway near Nichols Road and hit Sgt. Steve Licon.Licon, a motorcycle officer and 27-year veteran of the CHP, had pulled over another driver on the shoulder of the freeway when he was struck. Licon, 53, of Perris, was taken by helicopter to Inland Valley Medical Center in Wildomar, where he died of his injuries, according to prosecutors.Late Saturday, law enforcement officers from various agencies gathered at the hospital to escort the hearse that transported Licon’s body to the Riverside County coroner’s office in Perris. On Wednesday, dozens of officers — most employed by the CHP — stood in the courtroom as Callahan entered his plea. “Our hearts are heavy after the immeasurable loss of a friend, father, husband, and hero,” CHP officials wrote in a statement on Facebook following the crash. “Sergeant Steve Licon, #13348, of… Read full this story
- Mum, daughter charged with killing five relatives due in court
- REVEALED: Driver of doomed train told passengers over the PA he wanted to 'make up time' just minutes before horror crash - killing him and a crew member - as the stretch of track is described as a 'nightmare' and 'rough as guts'
- Driver charged after two pedestrians killed in alleged hit-and-run in Port Augusta West
- Train derailment: drivers refused to use section of track where XPT crashed, killing two
- Man killed while trying to help driver who crashed on Hwy. 101 in San Mateo
- Terrifying footage emerges showing driver speeding down the WRONG SIDE of a road before fiery crash killed him and an innocent mother-of-two on Valentine's Day
- Garbage truck driver charged over hit-and-run after allegedly dragging man’s body from Sydney road
- Cab driver arrested for killing wife
- Plane crash killed former Springfield mayor, coroner
- Sydney taxi driver charged with detaining and indecently assaulting 11yo girl stands trial
Driver charged in crash that killed CHP sergeant had prior DUI conviction have 366 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at April 11, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.