MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russia is in talks to host next year’s South American Supercup, the country’s sports ministry said on Tuesday, although it was not clear whether the ministry had spoken to the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) about the idea yet.
Russia is home to a string of new soccer stadiums built in the run-up to last year’s World Cup finals, which were attended by thousands of fans travelling to the country from South and Central America.
“In Russia every year there are hundreds of international sporting events of different sizes. We are interested in further providing our sporting facilities for the most interesting tournaments,” Russian sports minister Pavel Kolobkov said in a statement e-mailed to Reuters.
“With regards to the 2020 South American Supercup, this issue is being discussed in the usual course of business. At this time it is premature to comment on this,” he said.
CONMEBOL declined to comment earlier on Tuesday when asked whether it was in talks with Russia on the issue.
The Supercup is contested between the winners of South America’s two main club competitions, the Copa Libertadores, and the Copa Sudamericana. It is usually played over two legs, with one match at each club’s ground.
Brazilian club Gremio beat Argentina’s Independiente last year to win the 2018 South American Supercup.
(Reporting by Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber and Andrew Downie; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
- Tens of Millions Caught in South American Continental Blackout
- RNC Picks Charlotte, North Carolina, to Host 2020 Convention
- U.S. Companies Are Secretly Recruiting Staff to Provoke Russia, Kremlin Spokesperson Claims As American 'Spy' Is Jailed
- Economic Self-Reliance and Strategic Cooperation: 2014 BRICS Summit (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa)
- Venezuela Is The Only South American Country Where Hunger Is Increasing
- South American presidents announce creation of new regional bloc
- Albanian Gangsters Linked to South American Cartels Taking Over British Drug Scene
- Capello arranges South American ref for friendly
- South Africa could bid to host 2020 Olympics
- AP Sources: Charlotte poised to host 2020 GOP convention