When the caller ID on my dumb phone said “unknown,” I knew it was time to reach for a pen and cross a line off the bucket list. Sure enough, it was hockey’s most resonant voice, Don Cherry, the defenseman, then player-coach, then coach for whom I cheered during Sunday night trips to the Rochester War Memorial. Cherry, 85, remains as sharp as the skates he wore back in the days he skated alongside Al Arbour and they helped Gary Smith and fan favorite Bobby Perreault keep the puck out of the net so that Red Armstrong and Bronco Horvath goals scored for the Amerks didn’t go for naught. Enough with yesterday. Cherry is all about the moment. He might work from a studio, but he’s live music all the way. You never know what might come out of his mouth, but you can bet it will be interesting, original, sometimes cringe-worthy. His commentary, like his wardrobe, never is drab during the Coaches Corner segment with co-host Ron Maclean on Hockey Night in Canada. Cherry always has something cool to say about whatever’s hot in hockey. Since nobody’s hotter than the Bruins, I thought I’d run him down. “Absolutely amazing,”… Read full this story
- Petition To 'Bring Back' Don Cherry Gains Traction After Hockey Commentator Fired For Comments About Immigrants
- Don Cherry, Canada’s longtime hockey broadcaster, fired for rant over immigrants
- Backlash: #BoycottSportsnet Trends in Canada After Don Cherry Firing
- Tucker Carlson Interviews Don Cherry One Day After He Was Fired Over Immigration Rant, Says His Critics Are 'Fascists'
- Don Cherry: I ‘Stand By’ What I Said, But ‘Should Have Said Everybody’ Instead of ‘You People’
- Don Cherry Fired From ‘Hockey Night In Canada’ After 38 Years Over Immigrant Remarks
- Why Do People Cherry-Pick Which Science They Accept?
- More time needed before cherry picking in auto: Abhishek Basumallick, Intelsense Capital
- 5 Life Lessons from Don Cherry’s Firing
- Whoa, Canada: Trudeau’s Blackface Excused, Don Cherry Fired for Supporting Veterans
Patrice Bergeron is Don Cherry’s pick for MVP have 340 words, post on www.bostonherald.com at March 9, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.