Thursday March 28, 2019 03:37 AM Industrial hemp became legal across the U.S. last year, but police who now encounter huge shipments of state-certified hemp on nation’s highways can’t tell if the plants they’re seeing are hemp or marijuana. Written by By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Federal legalization of hemp arrived in the U.S. late last year and expanded an industry already booming because of the skyrocketing popularity of CBDs, a compound in hemp that many see as a health aid. But now, just a few months after Congress placed the marijuana look-alike squarely in safe legal territory, the hemp industry has been unsettled by an unexpected development. Truckers, now free to haul hemp from state to state, have been stopped and sometimes arrested by police who can’t tell whether they have intercepted a legal agricultural crop or the biggest marijuana bust of their careers. That’s because the only way to distinguish hemp and marijuana, which look and smell alike, is by measuring their tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, and officers don’t have the testing technology to do so on the spot. In a sign of the significance of the problem, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration earlier this… Read full this story
- Do These Celebrities Look-Alike Or Do You Need Your Eyes Checked?
- Conservative Senator Wants to Legalize Hemp
- Trump signs Farm Bill and legalizes hemp, boosting Tennessee’s newest cash crop
- Trump signs Farm Bill and legalizes hemp, cannabidiol
- Letter to the editor: Agree with legalization of pot letter
- Tributes to Southgate... and his look-alike
- Why do old couples look alike?
- Damschroder: Sexual harassment at BWC may create quandary for judge confirmation
- First legal Massachusetts pot shop could open within weeks
- John McAfee has recruited 'hundreds' of masked look-alikes for his 2020 presidential bid
Legal hemp, pot's look-alike, creates quandary for police have 306 words, post on www.readingeagle.com at March 28, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.