By Bloomberg | PUBLISHED: March 4, 2019 at 7:54 am | UPDATED: March 4, 2019 at 7:54 am By Ben Steverman | Bloomberg This tax season, many wealthy Americans are getting an expensive jolt. The Republican tax overhaul signed by President Donald Trump more than a year ago provides plenty of perks for the rich. But not all well-off folks are treated alike under the new law. A controversial provision that helps pay for huge corporate tax cuts punishes residents of states with higher income taxes” most of which, but not all, lean Democratic. By setting a $10,000 cap on how much Americans can deduct in state and local taxes, or SALT for short, Washington created a pricey problem for the privileged in some parts of the country. Now that the first tax season under the overhaul is here, that reality is hitting home” and the thought of moving to a low-tax state may suddenly look more attractive. But even before the law, there were rich people in blue states trying this strategy. Some actually moved, while some just pretended to” and that’s where state tax auditors come in. Officials in places such as California and New York don’t make… Read full this story
- Column: Two billionaires explain why they shouldn’t pay more taxes, unlike you poor saps
- Tom Steyer rolls out a risky new argument: His hedge fund past makes him the Democrat to beat Trump
- The Presidency of Donald Trump Never Gets Any Less Absurd
- 'Have you forgotten what you said two minutes ago?' Julian Castro, 44, astonishes Democrats by hinting that Joe Biden, 76, is struggling with his memory as they clash on health care
- 12 People Talk Honestly About How They Paid Off Their Debt
- 'Joe is not playing with a full deck' says Donald Trump as Biden escalates attack on president - but is tripped up by his own gaffes including saying 'poor kids are as bright and talented as white kids'
- Joe Biden warns Democrats that British Labour party's thumping defeat shows what happens to the radical left and calls UK prime minister Boris Johnson Donald Trump's 'physical and emotional clone'
- 20 Moments From The Past 20 Years That Moved The Whole World Forward
- Donald Trump's 199 wildest lines of 2019
- Final goodbye: Recalling influential people who died in 2019
How high-tax states like California and New York make it hard for the rich to leave have 378 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at March 4, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.