PARIS — Scattered yellow vest protesters clashed with French police firing tear gas Saturday after a peaceful march through Paris, but tougher security measures and protest bans in high-risk neighborhoods prevented the kind of rioting that devastated the capital a week ago. The 4-month-old movement drew bigger crowds Saturday than in recent weeks, despite heavy security and even though last weekend’s violence dented overall support for the cause. The protesters want more help for struggling French workers and retirees and say President Emmanuel Macron favors the elite. Thousands of demonstrators marched peacefully through Paris – their 19th straight weekend of protests – ending up at the Sacre-Coeur Cathedral overlooking the city from the historic Montmartre neighborhood. Protesters sprayed yellow flares and unfurled a neon banner from atop the cathedral’s white dome. In a relaxed mood, demonstrators and tourists alike took selfies as the march wound down. Later, however, tensions erupted as small clusters of masked protesters set garbage cans on fire and threw projectiles as they moved toward Republique Plaza in eastern Paris. Helmeted riot police fired volleys of tear gas in response. A police officer on the plaza suffered a heart problem, slumping to the ground before being hospitalized in… Read full this story
- Paris Fashion Week - Who Says Paris Is Best In The Springtime?
- Amber Heard looks effortlessly cool in clashing prints while shopping in Paris during Fashion Week
- Glorious Gourmet Food in Paris - Part III
- Internet Cafes in Paris, France - Typing English on French Keyboards
- Bastille Day - Celebrate the French Way
- Top 10 Paris 'To-Dos'
- French Voices in the US
- La Franco Phony - Why the French Won't Speak English
- Classic French Clothing is Becoming Ever More Popular
- Is Paris Really Burning - Or Have You Been Abused?
French yellow vest protests in Paris avoid last week’s riots have 297 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at March 27, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.