By Pete Iacobelli Associated Press Published 1:27 AM EDT Mar 23, 2019 Columbia, S.C. — Zion Williamson had an explosive NCAA Tournament debut with 25 points and a can’t-miss second-half showcase to lead top-seeded Duke to an 85-62 win over North Dakota State on Friday night. RJ Barrett led Duke with 26 points and 14 rebounds and combined with Williamson for a prolific showing for the freshmen stars. But it was Williamson who could not be contained in the second half and he turned a tight early contest into a Duke runaway in the first round of the East Region. Duke led just 31-27 at halftime but Williamson took over after the break. He opened the half by driving on two defenders for a layup that drew a foul. He missed the free throw but Williamson answered with a monster slam. The highlight, though, came moments later on Williamsson’s breathtaking dribble-behind-his-back-after-chasing-down-his-own-steal layup. The 6-foot-7, 285-pound freshman outran 5-foot-11 190-pound Vinnie Shahid of North Dakota State for the ball after he tipped it for a steal. Williamson then dribbled behind his back, briefly losing and regaining his balance with a hand on the floor. That cleared room for Williamson to get… Read full this story
- The AAF makes successful debut as NFL's spring league – but will it last?
- Duke AD looks for ‘special’ year in 2019-20
- VIDEO: Duke freshman Cassius Stanley skies for two straight dunks in Champions Classic
- Drake breaks chart records in US, becomes first male artist to score three No. 1 debuts
- 'Even in this climate where people are locked inside it's a remarkable figure': The coronavirus pandemic spells ratings success for Channel Ten's MasterChef: Back To Win
- The Heroes’ new manager anxiously awaits his debut
- How Duke became Black America's most hated team: the perception of white privilege
- 2020 NBA Draft: Duke wing Cassius Stanley, a potential first-round pick, declares for draft
- NCAA tournament: Michigan State upend Duke to join Auburn in Final Four
- DeMarcus Cousins: “College is b*******” Zion Williamson should get ready for NBA
Duke’s Zion Show has successful debut have 339 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at March 22, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.