By Ross Marowits The Canadian Press Wed., Feb. 6, 2019 TORONTO – Canada’s main stock index eked out gains Wednesday even though the cannabis sector sustained losses, while U.S. stock markets headed lower. “It’s a pretty quiet day,” said Anish Chopra, managing director with Portfolio Management Corp. There was no significant market moving economic news or geopolitical headlines, U.S. President Donald Trump’s congressional address Tuesday evening didn’t earn a lot of news while corporate earnings have been largely positive, he said in an interview. “The earnings generally have been reasonable (and) there was nothing coming out of the State of the Union (speech) that would have an impact on equities.” The S&P/TSX composite index closed up 9.62 points to 15,712.31 after hitting an intraday high of 15,745.38. Article Continued Below The consumer discretionary sector led by gaining nearly one per cent, followed by utilities, real estate and financials. Health care dropped 3.5 per cent as cannabis names like Aphria Inc. lost nine per cent after rejecting a hostile takeover bid and other pot firms Cronos Group Inc., the Green Organic Dutchman Holdings, Hexo Corp. and Aurora Cannabis Inc. all fell by between 3.5 and 9.6 per cent. The influential energy… Read full this story
- Mars Super Markets will close all stores July 31
- Honda HR-V – the Euro-market Vezel breaks cover
- What Kevin Durant has to lose and gain by playing in the Finals
- August 2015 Sales: Ford, FCA Make Gains While GM Slides
- Report: Analysts Expect Big Sales Gains in April 2010
- Proton needs to return to export market – Tun Mahathir
- NBA buyout market season is upon us, but how does it work?
- Hyundai Elantra – Inokom assembling and exporting facelifted model for Thai market
- 2010 Dodge Caliber Gets New Interior for World Markets, To Debut at Frankfurt
- Neil Lennon's Hibs deny Rangers as Light Blues lose ground on leaders Celtic
Toronto stock market ekes out gain while U.S. stock markets lose ground have 313 words, post on www.thestar.com at February 6, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.