Jamie L. LaReau Detroit Free Press Published 2:00 PM EST Feb 19, 2019 General Motors is investing further in a future of SUVs and pickups. The automaker announced Tuesday it will put $20 million into its Romulus propulsion plant to increase the plant’s capacity for future 10-speed transmission production. Romulus currently builds V6 engines and 10-speed transmissions used in several GM cars, trucks and crossovers. The news come a day after GM said it would spend $36 million at its Lansing Delta Township plant for future crossover production. That plant builds the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave SUVs. The company also said last week it was adding 1,000 jobs for truck production at its Flint Assembly Plant. More: GM to invest millions in a Lansing-area factory as it idles others More: General Motors to close Detroit, Ohio, Canada plants Both investments come amid GM’s plans to idle five of its other factories in North America this year, affecting 6,200 jobs, as part of a restructuring plan that included eliminating a total of 8,000 white-collar jobs, through buyouts, contractor cuts and involuntary layoffs. The UAW lauded GM’s announced investment Monday in Lansing Delta Township. “The membership of UAW Local 602 are under the outstanding leadership of UAW Region 1D Director Gerald Kariem and they applaud… Read full this story
- GM venture to create Ohio battery plant and 1,100 jobs
- Tress Capital Makes Strategic Investments in iCAN, an Israeli Cannabis Innovator
- President Zelenskiy Makes Ukraine Investment Pitch in Shadow of War Zone
- GM loans $40 million to firm to acquire, retool shuttered Lordstown, Ohio, factory
- GM Loans $40 Million To Firm To Acquire, Retool Shuttered Lordstown, Ohio, Factory
- Anand Mahindra invests in online citizen engagement platform LocalCircles
- Plants Make Sounds When in Stress or Pain, Can Be Heard by Bats and Mice: Research
- What are the best investment avenues for a millennial to invest Rs 10,000 per month?
- Opposition to MoF’s proposal to ease casino investment conditions
- Overseas investments by Vietnam SOEs suffer increasing losses
GM makes $20M investment in Romulus transmission plant have 328 words, post on eu.freep.com at February 19, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.