Good Monday morning. (Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up here .) Failed border talks foreshadow another shutdown Bipartisan negotiations to forge a border security deal broke down yesterday, potentially setting up the federal government for another shutdown ahead of a Friday deadline. What happened? “The impasse appears to center on Democratic demands for a limit on the number of unauthorized immigrants already in the country who could be detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, according to aides familiar with the talks,” according to the NYT. Republicans wanted an exception to the cap for criminals; Democrats said a proposed 16,500-bed cap left more than enough room for them. What’s at stake? The last shutdown, the longest in U.S. history, cost the American economy $11 billion and tanked President Trump’s political standing with the public. Another shutdown could cause more economic harm, hitting the I.R.S. just as tax season starts. What’s next? Lawmakers could pass another short-term spending bill, though many are reluctant to punt on a final budget agreement again. Meanwhile, Mr. Trump is preparing to hold a rally for supporters in El Paso. (Many in the city aren’t happy with that.) But he really has only two… Read full this story
- The government shutdown makes Americans less safe
- A brief look at past government shutdowns
- This family thought their troubles were over. Then the government shutdown left them in limbo.
- Flights delayed at major US airports because of staffing, FAA says, as government shutdown drags on
- The IPO market is still in hibernation. Blame the government shutdown and market mayhem
- Who gets blamed for a government shutdown?
- Government shutdown latest: 'At least we are still talking'
- Another government shutdown looms -- Monday is a crucial day for talks
- 85 (and counting) very real direct effects of the partial government shutdown
DealBook Briefing: Brace for Another Government Shutdown have 314 words, post on www.nytimes.com at February 11, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.