Ann Zaniewski Detroit Free Press Published 8:45 PM EST Feb 14, 2019 It was a Valentine’s Day treat for 91 pint-sized dogs — the start of a new life. Big smiles and lots of love greeted the pups on a chilly Thursday evening at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti. A team of volunteers gently moved them, crate by crate, off an airplane and into waiting vehicles that would take them to local animal rescues. The dogs had just finished a nearly six-hour flight from Fresno, California, courtesy of the nonprofit Wings of Rescue. Out West, they faced a high risk of being euthanized in overcrowded shelters. “These dogs, if they didn’t go to Michigan, a lot of them would be dead by this weekend,” said Ric Browde, president of Wings of Rescue. Browde said an overpopulation of small dogs in California shelters and a shortage of — and demand for — small dogs in metro Detroit led to the unique cross-country mission. About 80 percent of the plane’s passengers were Chihuahuas or Chihuahua mixes. Wings of Rescue, in partnership with GreaterGood.org, funded the flight. Compassion Without Borders spearheaded the selection of the dogs and provided preflight health checks. Four local rescue groups — the Michigan Humane Society, Friends for Animals of… Read full this story
- Animal rescue group says it is still waiting for 'permission' to save starving lions and animals from 'zoo from hell' after Albanian government promised it would help
- Dog Days Are Over
- BTr hikes 91-, 364-day T-bill rates, cuts 182-day rate
- An anatomy of a famous dog’s life-saving heroism
- Desperate bid to save nine starving tigers after they are found covered in excrement in tiny cages with one big cat already dead during exhausting transfer from Italy to Russian circus
- Dogs that killed Michigan man will be euthanized
- Why Should Malaysians Adopt Their Dogs And Cats Instead Of Buying?
- More than 200 doomed Puerto Rico dogs saved by airlift to US
- Boy's death sparks debate on Bucharest stray dogs
- Mexico subway is dog’s world, but lost pups find a home
91 dogs, days from being euthanized, saved by Michigan rescue groups have 344 words, post on eu.freep.com at February 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.