Ann Zaniewski Detroit Free Press Published 8:45 PM EST Feb 14, 2019 It was a Valentine’s Day treat for 91 pint-sized dogs — the start of a new life. Big smiles and lots of love greeted the pups on a chilly Thursday evening at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti. A team of volunteers gently moved them, crate by crate, off an airplane and into waiting vehicles that would take them to local animal rescues. The dogs had just finished a nearly six-hour flight from Fresno, California, courtesy of the nonprofit Wings of Rescue. Out West, they faced a high risk of being euthanized in overcrowded shelters. “These dogs, if they didn’t go to Michigan, a lot of them would be dead by this weekend,” said Ric Browde, president of Wings of Rescue. Browde said an overpopulation of small dogs in California shelters and a shortage of — and demand for — small dogs in metro Detroit led to the unique cross-country mission. About 80 percent of the plane’s passengers were Chihuahuas or Chihuahua mixes. Wings of Rescue, in partnership with GreaterGood.org, funded the flight. Compassion Without Borders spearheaded the selection of the dogs and provided preflight health checks. Four local rescue groups — the Michigan Humane Society, Friends for Animals of… Read full this story
- Washington D.C. Pet Rescue Pulling Dogs from Kill Shelters to Meet Demand for Foster Pets
- China pushes draft law to reclassify dogs as pets, not livestock
- Photos: Yappy Hour helps save dogs amid COVID-19
- ‘Hundreds and hundreds of kittens’: the volunteers saving strays as Covid-19 closes shelters
- Hurricane Harvey's Amazing Animal Survival Stories: Rescues, Reunions and Furry Refugees
- Kerala Lockdown Day 22: Online textbooks for students, list of shops open and more
- 13 Homeless, Radiation-Safe Puppies Born in Chernobyl Rescued and Now Available for Adoption in U.S.
- Bill to reduce Michigan auto insurance premiums is in peril
- Riverdale’s Lili Reinhart shares dog Milo’s recovery after pet was attacked
- Kyle Richards and her family save ducklings from being trapped near pool equipment after a family of ducks took up residence in her backyard
91 dogs, days from being euthanized, saved by Michigan rescue groups have 338 words, post on eu.freep.com at February 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.