Fourteen weather and climate disasters that hammered the U.S. in 2018 cost the U.S. an estimated $91 billion, $3.2 billion of which was due to two summer hailstorms in Colorado, according to a report released last week by the National Center for Environment Information.It marked the eighth consecutive year with eight or more billion-dollar disasters in the U.S. and the eighth year overall with at least 10 billion-dollar disasters. The longterm average is 6.2 per year.Of note were hurricanes Michael and Florence and the complex of Western wildfires, which primarily ravaged parts of California, though the National Center for Environment Information also underscored the impact of the Spring Creek fire in La Veta. The hurricanes and fires combined accounted for $73 billion of the $91 billion bill.The wildfires in California set a record for the costliest, deadliest and largest wildfires since 1933 when the state began keeping wildfire records. The blazes contributed to “unprecedented damage” exceeding $40 billion in the U.S. and well-above the 10-year average number of acres burned — 8.7 million in 2018 compared with 6.8 million. Colorado Springs News Roof repair ‘storm chasers’ around Colorado Springs should make homeowners wary Rachel Riley The Spring Creek fire charred… Read full this story
- U.S. cities hit by more billion-dollar disasters than ever in 2017
- The Property Brothers made nearly half a billion dollars in 2018
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on December 16, 2018
- Congress Bickers Over Spending $13 or $14 Billion on Disaster Relief. They Should Spend Closer to $0.
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on December 23, 2018
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on December 30, 2018
- Full transcript: "Face the Nation" on December 9, 2018
- Pray that you don't win the billion-dollar lottery
- California hemp farmers still waiting for launch of multi-billion dollar business
- Despite billion-dollar impact, maintenance work lags in Smokies, along Blue Ridge Parkway
2 Colorado hailstorms were among nation's billion-dollar disasters in 2018 have 302 words, post on gazette.com at February 11, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.