Minister of Planning and Investment Nguyen Chi Dung said at a conference Wednesday that while Vietnam’s GDP per capita had surged by 27.4 times in the last 30 years to almost $2,590 last year, Malaysia had achieved this figure 20 years ago. Thailand had done so 15 years ago and Indonesia 10 years ago. The main limitations of its economy were low labor productivity, economic efficiency and competitiveness, and the country also faced the risk of being stuck in the middle-income trap. According to the 2018 Vietnam Annual Economic Report, average productivity per worker was VND60.73 million ($2,600) in 2017, lower than that of China, Japan, the Philippines, Thailand, and Cambodia. Currently the country also faced challenges like the U.S.-China trade war, the minister said. For these reasons, institutional reforms were necessary to achieve a more sustainable economy, he noted. Macroeconomic stability and high economic growth with innovation in science and technology were imperative. The private sector had to remain one of the pillars of the economy in future, Dung said. ”If Vietnam doesn’t catch the 4.0 train, the gap between it with other countries will become wider. Vietnam needs to narrow that gap.” Vietnam’s GDP has grown at 6.8 percent… Read full this story
- 20 years ago today, humanity was given the greatest gift of all: The World Wide Web
- What’s a meme? Something that didn’t exist 20 years ago
- Probe saw plumes on Europa 20 years ago – we just didn’t notice
- Users heard the Windows 95 startup music for the first time 20 years ago today
- 'Australians live on beef, oysters and Thai takeaway': British expat chef slams Australia's 'smug' food scene as '20 years behind' the times and bemoans the fact he can't get good 'grouse or offal'
- Plate tectonics that control the movement of the continents and cause earthquakes first formed 2.5 BILLION years ago, scientists claim
- Lizard-like animal that lived 289 million years ago suffered from a bone condition similar to Paget's disease
- Deputy who monitored Jeffrey Epstein on work release reveals he office staff was all 20-year-old blonds and said he sat in the driveway while pedophile was locked inside his home every day
- See stunning, rare images from the Vietnam War 50 years ago
- Why you're actually making less than five years ago
Vietnam per capita income matches Malaysia’s 20 years ago have 372 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at January 30, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.