Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Annie Karni and Maggie Haberman New York Times January 14, 2019 WASHINGTON — President Trump said Monday that he has rejected a proposal by Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina to temporarily reopen the government in an effort to jump-start talks with Democratic lawmakers on funding a border wall.“I did reject it,” Trump said of the proposal, speaking to reporters as he boarded Marine One outside of the White House, en route to delivering a speech to a farm convention in New Orleans.In an appearance on Fox News on Sunday, Graham, a close ally of the president, pitched Trump on a plan for the president to agree to a vote by Congress to reopen the government for about three weeks “before he pulls the plug on the legislative option.” If there was no progress made during that time, Graham said, the president could then declare a national emergency as a way to obtain funding for a border wall without congressional action. Advertisement But Trump said that he did not want to extend the impasse over funding for the wall. It was… Read full this story
- Vote to end government shutdown pushed to Monday
- US senate leaders agree deal to end government shutdown
- US government shutdown: Time is running out to break the political deadlock
- What is the US government shutdown? Senators refuse pay over budget impasse with Trump
- Parties play blame game on Capitol Hill over US government shutdown
- Schumer, Trump meet at White House as government shutdown nears
- Donald Trump brags Democrats 'caved' on US government shutdown deal
- US government shutdown: Finger-pointing begins as all but the most essential operations halt on anniversary of Trump inauguration
- What is a government shutdown and why has it happened in America?
- US government shutdown likely amid immigration stand-off
Trump rejects proposal to temporarily end government shutdown have 318 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at January 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.