0 Post a comment Thursday, 24 January 2019 – Community News by Kate Philbin – Totnes reporter [email protected] Days before Holocaust Memorial Day 2019, members of the South Hams Jewish community have expressed their worry that “something like this could happen again”. Sunday, January 27, is Holocaust Memorial Day, an international day to remember the six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust, the millions of people killed under Nazi persecution and countless people lost in subsequent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur. On this date in 1945, the Soviet army entered Auschwitz and liberated more than 7,000 prisoners who were mostly ill and dying. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda and the 40th anniversary of the Cambodian genocide. All around the world people will come together to remember, to mourn and to seek to learn the lessons of the past. With the Brexit debate raging and a growing mistrust of racial, political and cultural differences all around the world, talking about discrimination, racism and hatred feels more pertinent than ever. Marc Frank of the Totnes Jewish Community said: “Holocaust Memorial Day has relevance for all of humanity. It is vitally important that we do… Read full this story
- Pence Predicts COVID-19 Vaccine Before End of 2020—But He Also Once Said Pandemic May End by Memorial Day
- The Meaning of Labor Day? It's Different Than Memorial Day and Here's How
- Ahead of Labor Day, Dallas County Lowers COVID-19 Threat Level for First Time Since Memorial Day
- What's the Difference Between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?
- The best Memorial Day appliance sales: deals from Home Depot, Lowe's, and more
- Grill Science: 5 Sizzling Tips for a Tasty Memorial Day
- Spike in coronavirus cases in Napa County, Calif. linked to Memorial Day gatherings
- Memorial Day Meals: Expert Tips for Packing a Healthy Picnic
- President Trump Doesn't Wear Mask for Memorial Day But Biden Does
- Volunteers sought to help with Detroit virus memorial
The themes of Holocaust Memorial Day are 'very current' have 323 words, post on www.dartmouth-today.co.uk at January 24, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.