FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The commission investigating a shooting massacre at a Florida high school unanimously approved its initial findings and recommendations Wednesday, including a controversial proposal that teachers who volunteer and undergo training be allowed to carry guns. The 15-member Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission’s 446-page report details what members believe happened before, during and after the Feb. 14 shooting attack that left 14 students and three staff members dead and 17 wounded. The report, which the commission sent to Gov. Rick Scott, incoming governor Ron DeSantis and the Legislature, is also critical of the Broward County sheriff’s deputies who failed to confront suspect Nikolas Cruz, and of Sheriff Scott Israel, whose office did not at the time have a policy requiring them to rush the three-story freshman building where the shooting happened. Israel’s critics hope the report will result in DeSantis suspending Israel shortly after the new governor takes office Tuesday. Israel has said that he has done nothing to warrant his removal. Related News News For Parkland students, a ‘normal’ school year might be too much to ask Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings. The… Read full this story
- Parkland Commission Recommends Very Dumb Idea of Arming Teachers
- The Commission Investigating the Parkland Shooting Wants Florida Schools to Arm Teachers
- Florida enacts Guardian Program, other states discuss teachers carrying guns on campus
- Parkland Shooter Obsessively Texted Girl He Labeled in His Contacts As 'Warning Love Of Your Life'
- Parkland Shooter Obsessively Texted Girl He Labeled in His Contacts As 'Warning Loving Of Your Life'
- Donald Trump Jr., girlfriend to get $50,000 to speak at University of Florida
- The Brutal, Incredibly Personal Gun Politics of the Florida Governor's Race
- In wake of blast at Ariana Grande concert, venue safety comes into question
- Students describe chaos in Fern Creek shooting
- Fighting Game Tournament Offers Complicated Solution To Event Safety Concerns
In wake of Parkland shooting, safety commission backs recommendation to arm teachers in Florida have 312 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at January 3, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.