Yasmin Green is talking about the considerable social media following of a 14-year-old Kurdish girl. Green, the director of research and development for Jigsaw, which, along with Google, is part of the umbrella entity called Alphabet, confesses she was a bit envious. This girl was “super smart, and she had a social media following of like 30,000 people at 14,” says Green. “I feel like I’ve been on social media a long time, and I haven’t managed to get any traction, so I was kind of curious.” This large cadre of devotees looked to the teenager for updates about Justin Bieber’s music and concerts, which would explain why an obscure kid in a remote corner of the world would amass such a following. But Green says the innocent fan-girling eventually gave way to content about ISIS–the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. A pubescent girl who rose to influencer status among the “Beliebers” had turned to messaging about the terrorist group in her social feeds. The reason, Green says, was that this girl gave her account away to a foreign fighter she thought was going to marry her. “Think about social media accounts as assets,” Green explains. “That was… Read full this story
- VIDEO: Heroic Policeman Rescues Teens Stranded in River: ‘Just Trust Me’
- Belgian Federal Police Chief Braces for New ISIS Terror Attacks
- UK's SAS to target ISIS jihadists on 'kill list'
- ISIS Threatens India's Taj Mahal as Bombs Explode Across City
- Spanish Police Arrest ISIS Suspect in Mallorca Over Europe-Wide Plots
- Whoopi Goldberg defends Saturday Night Live ISIS sketch saying it's the ''best way to get back at boneheads''
- Four Illegal Border Crossers Rescued in California Border Mountains
- Meet the Female Recruiters of ISIS
- Google AI Expert Says Facebook Is Used for 'Psychological Control'
- With new coronavirus tracker, Apple and Google may finally get their big break in health care
Google algorithms and human psychology: How Jigsaw rescues teens from ISIS recruiters have 319 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at January 28, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.